I saw these folded strawberry pancakes in a Japanese food market the other day and thought they looked absolutely appetizing. Though I’m more of a chocolate lover so I decided to do up my own version of chocolate pancakes~
This is a very quick and easy version.
Chocolate pancakes with strawberries & custard
(makes 9-10 mini pancakes)
For the custard:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 1.5 tbsp of sugar (reduce to 1 tbsp if using cow’s milk)
- 100 ml unsweetened soymilk (I didn’t have cow’s milk left in the fridge)
- 5 g unsalted butter
- some chocolate chips (I used about 1 gram)
For the pancake:
- 1 packet (150g) Moringa Pancake mix
- 1 medium egg
- 150 ml unsweetened soymilk
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
Strawberries and icing sugar for decoration.
- Beat egg yolk, cornflour and sugar in a small bowl.
- Heat up soymilk in a small saucepan until it starts to bubble at the sides. Take off heat and slowly pour into egg mixture, stirring to combine.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan and stir until thickens. Mix in chocolate chips and butter. Once it has cooled, pour into a piping bag and set aside in fridge.
- Mix Moringa Pancake mix with egg, milk and sifted cocoa powder. Pour equal sizes of batter in a lightly oiled frying pan (I used an egg frying pan to get equal sizes). You can better control the amount of batter you pour in by using a cookie scoop. When it’s about done (holes will appear on top), bend the pancake in half. You can keep the shape by resting your flat cooking ladle on it, or wrap it in aluminium foil.
- Once it’s cooled, pipe in the chocolate custard and place strawberries in each pancake.
My son enjoyed this dessert very much. If you’ve tried it, let me know! ^^