I bought this “Deco Cute Steamed cakes” baking book in Kinokuniya for $15+.
Took me quite a few tries before the patterns finally came out right.
It’s easy to whip up, doesn’t require fancy baking tools, and look at it. So cuuuuuuuuuteee.
Here’s the recipe:
Junko’s Patterned Steamed Cakes
- Muffin mix- 100g
- Medium sized egg x 1
- Caster sugar- 40g
- Plain Yoghurt- 40g
- Milk- 40ml
- Unsalted butter- 15g (melt in microwave for 15-20 secs)
- Cake flour- 3 tsp
- Coloring (red, blue)- earpick sized droplet each
- Cocoa powder- 1 tbsp
- Egg whisk
- 1 mixing bowl
- Mini piping bags x 3 (you can make your own from baking paper)
- Small plate
- 4 x regular sized baking cups (I bought the Wilton silicone baking cups. You can use those paper muffin cups avail from SKP as well)
- Steamer or just pot with lid to steam.
- Beat the egg slightly in a mixing bowl, add caster sugar and whisk well together.
- Add yoghurt and milk, mix evenly.
- Pour in muffin mix, once it’s thoroughly mixed in, add melted butter and stir.
- Scoop 1 tsp of mixture and put into piping bag. The mixture will be slightly yellowish in color.
- Scoop 1 tsp of mixture onto clean plate and mix in a small drop of red coloring with toothpick. Put into piping bag.
- Scoop another 1 tsp of mixture onto plate (you can use the same plate but make sure the colors aren’t touching) and mix in a small drop of blue coloring. Put into piping bag.
- Squeeze the patterns you want on the base of the muffin cups.
- Mix in the cocoa powder with the rest of the mixture. Pour into muffin cups til 70% full.
- Steam on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Remember to wrap a cloth around the steamer lid to prevent the condensed water from dripping into the cupcakes!
Cool on rack and they are ready to serve and eat!
The taste is a bit between cupcakes and sponge cakes. For chocolate lovers, I recommend using the Chocolate Muffin Premix. I bought mine for $3.20 from Phoon Huat. Although you might have to play around with the colors a bit to make sure they come out right!
Tell me if you’ve tried it! ^^
Linking up with: