My blog is slowly turning into a food blog, hahaha…
Saw this book that teaches you how to bake steamed cakes with various healthy ingredients. I tried my hand at the pumpkin recipe. And because there’s some leftover chocolate with almonds in the fridge, I threw that in as well.
It’s basically “huat kuey”, just with less sugar. And the best thing is, it’s so easy to make!
Steamed pumpkin cup bread (Makes 4):
40g plain sugar (can substitute with powdered milk if you are concerned about feeding it to babies)
60ml milk (I used Farmhouse fresh milk)
100g all purpose plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (canola or sunflower)
3-4 tbsp of diced pumpkin
1. Beat the egg slightly. Add in sugar and whisk to mix well. Add milk and stir.
2. Sift flour and baking powder into mixture and mix well. Add vegetable oil and whisk til smooth.
3. Pour into muffin cup or any pudding sized mold, 3/4 full. Add in diced pumpkin equally into the cups.
4. Bring water to boil in steamer. Once it’s boiling, lower heat and line the muffin cups, cover with a cloth covered lid (This is very important! So that the condensation doesn’t wet the top of the cakes) and steam for 12-15 minutes.
5. Poke a toothpick into cake to check if there’s anything sticking to it. If it’s clean, you are ready to serve!
(P/s: You can also try other fruit like banana, cranberries and peach. If you prefer something salty, you can add bacon and cheese or even chicken and corn!)